Design and analysis of horizontal and vertical axis wind turbines of small and medium size (from 1 to 50 KW).
What we offer:
The ADAG research group has designed and built a prototype of a 5 kW horizontal axis wind turbine,
EOL-H-5 and is working on an innovative vertical axis wind turbine MYTHOS (1-3 kW).
EOL-H-5 has a rotor diameter of 5,8 m and the standard turbine tower is 12 m high. The turbine requires about 2 m/s wind to start producing electricity with a maximum power output of 5 kW around 9 m/s. The turbine is stopped when winds exceed 35 m/s. The turbine produces 13000 kWh per year at an average wind speed of 6 m/s, corresponding to about 2500 equivalent hours of operation at the rated power.
MYTHOS has a rotor diameter of 2 m and blades are 3 m long. The innovative rotor has an efficiency of 35%
comparable to that of a horizontal axis rotor. The turbine provides a power output of 1 kW with a nominal wind speed of 10 m/s. The turbine can be installed in different configurations, depending on the particular application. The modular design allows the installation on buildings in a multiple version, both with rotor axis perpendicular to the ground or horizontal.
What we are looking for:
Innovative aspects of our expertise are:
- Improvement of turbine’s efficiency through good airfoil and blade aerodynamic design;
- Simplicity and reliability of mechanical systems, in order to reduce the operating and maintenance costs;
- Vertical axis turbines optimization through blade pitch control, rotor shape and airfoil design.
In particular, the 5 kW horizontal axis turbine has three main innovative aspects:
- The blade shape has been designed in order to improve the aerodynamic efficiency of the rotor achieving an efficiency of 0.5. The blade has five different airfoils purposely designed. The blades are also made in carbon-fiber
- The rotational speed control system is made up by a Passive Stall Control System based only on
inertial and aerodynamic forces without any electro-mechanical device reliability of the turbine is improved.
- The use of an axial flux electric generator reduce parasitic losses and increase the reliability.
- Systems and equipments using energy from alternative souces
- Technology & business cooperation
- Technical cooperation